Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday Finds!

Friday Finds!


I have all kinds of interesting stuff for you today!

First off is the link that revolutionized MY LIFE. Seriously.

Read It Later

This is a spiffy little system that lets you save websites and blog posts to your Reading List for later use - which is nifty enough on its own if you're like me and usually have forty-two tabs open with things you want to read but haven't had time to yet. The Reading List compiles them all in one place and you don't lose them when your browser crashes. (Under the weight of forty-two tabs).

What makes it revolutionary is that there is an iPhone/iTouch app that allows me to download those webpages and blog posts to my iPod (Jeeves) and read them later OFFLINE. This is the big beautiful kicker. OFFLINE.

I have been struggling with all sorts of ways to convert the text of blog posts so I can read them even if I'm not in range of an open wireless source. Not only does Read It Later save these as they appear on my computer, but saving them in the first place is far easier than my usual cut-n-paste or save as, convert, load, blah blah blah. Now, I just click a link in my favorites list, and TA-DA! the page is on my Reading List. At the end of the day, I sync my iPod to my reading list and I'm good to go!

I didn't look too hard, but I understand they have ways for other smart phones to access your reading list, and they apparently have a killer FireFox extension.

Sasha White has an interesting post on Tracking Your Work over at Genreality. There are several good suggestions for websites and downloads that allow you to track works in progress and submissions you're waiting on.

Some I'm planning to look at:

Writer's Database

Downloadable Writer's Database

Sonar 3



Smart Bitches has an interesting post on publishing your work as an APP for smart phones and ipods. Apps for Authors

And finally Carol Burge at Romance Writer Woes has compiled a list of Writing Contests that are currently open.

No comments: